SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday 21 June 2019

The Comparison Circle

Guess who had their 10-12 month review yesterday?
Guess who needs to be reviewed again in 2 months? 

I’m very strong willed in my mindset of comparison will only end in tears. Nothing good will come of it. Yet these reviews do just that. They force you to compare your child to an “average”. You’re forced to actually tick box and pigeon hole your baby. I’m a teacher so I understand there are standards and expectations but I was naive to the level of expectations with regards to baby development. 

Alfie’s still stationery. Happy to sit and play or spin on his tummy and reach things within arms distance. I mean how lucky am I at not having to baby proof yet - every cloud and all that. He’s also still having night feeds. His fine motor and social were all good but he doesn’t follow instructions (I know he’s 9 months old, what am I playing at?) 

To any parents trapped in the circle of comparison, break free. Your baby will get there. They will have strengths in other areas just like we do as adults.
In case you haven’t been told today, you’re amazing and you’re doing a wonderful job. 
By the way... his eyes in this photo.

Post a Comment