SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday 12 October 2019

Childcare

My First Day
Childcare 🎒

If you’re returning to work then you are inevitably thinking about your childcare options. It’s so hard to even think about leaving your precious bundle with potentially a stranger or perhaps you can’t wait to go back and be somebody outside of Mummy. That is also ok! Being a stay at home mum is hard! 

Just some quick tips:
Do your research! 
What works for one person might not be right for you so make sure you talk to all your friends and family about who they use and recommend. 

Visit all potential places. 
Any setting worth their salt will invite you to look round or for an informal chat about their services and your child. If they don’t.... well that rings alarm bells to me.

Don’t rule out childminders!
Most people I know are split equally here between nursery and childminders. Generally you get the home from home setting with a childminder, with a mixed age range, although I know lots do follow the EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage). Nurseries are larger and your child will be mixing mostly with smalls their own age completing learning activities most days. There’s no right or wrong way. It’s what works for you and your baby.

Cost is something to consider.
Generally as a rule of thumb childminders are cheaper. However, I viewed nurseries that were term time only so ended up being a similar cost. I only wanted term time to fit my teaching hours and the nursery I liked couldn’t accommodate this. For me, I didn’t want to be working to fund childcare. 

Location!
Something I hadn’t really considered! But mornings before work are busy and stressful enough. You don’t want to be adding to your journey time if you can help it. That only adds up to one stressed parent and one stressed baby. You’ll go to work with the worst mum guilt! Our childcare is in the same village as where I work. Win! 

Finally, listen to your instincts.
I wrote to 5 settings and viewed 4 when I was looking to place Alfie. For me, it was an instant reaction and feeling. I walked into my first choice nursery and loved it straight away. I liked the set up and the way they interacted with Alfie. I had the same feeling when I walked into our childminder’s. I was at ease and so was Alfie. If something doesn’t feel right. Keep looking. Don’t settle. You have to go to work and be in work mode. Not distracted with worries and insecurities. Listen to your instincts.

Post a Comment